Wednesday, April 20, 2011

I just don't understand

The office building I am in has more the 5,000 people in it. I get to see female executives, lawyers and secretaries. The trend I don't understand is expensive handbags and cheap clothing. Do they think the handbag, fake or real, makes the clothing look better? (The whole idea of fake anything will be covered at a different time.)

Today, I was going up the escalator and the woman in front of me were not dressed in any way that was elegant. The pants, I currently am on a skirt kick I just don't think pants look good on women unless they are tailored and wide-legged, that aside, the material of the pants was cheap, the cut - unflattering. The one was carrying a Louis Vuitton handbag, I didn't look hard enough to see if it was real, but it looked so out of place. Especially since this women also had stringy hair that hadn't been attended to in a while, ie. washing. Not to pick on this women, she is just an example that I see all the time. I've actually seen it the opposite. A women with tailor clothing, beautiful hair and nails very much attention to detail except for her shoes and or her purse.

Think about the overall look. That expensive handbag looked out of place. The friend with that women had the same type of outfit but her handbag was a cute artistic bag. It looked correct with outfit the overall casual look.

We've heard the advice of mixing real jewelry with costume jewelry, you can combine expensive clothing with cheaper clothing for a great outfit. But only one great piece can't carry the whole outfit.

We can't be 'on' all the time. There are days we might be less motivated to make a complete look ( except those are the days something happens you wish you spent the time) but carrying an expensive bag isn't 'fooling' anyone. It looks more like a teenager who is borrowing her mother's bag.

Another thing I can't figure out is the west coast obsession with Coach. I have two coach bags. I like them they are leather, one red and one pink. What I don't understand are the ones with the logo all over it. Do you have to announce you are carrying a Coach - "look at me"? I know the style is created by the company but if they didn't sell the company would stop production on that style.

The whole point of personal style is - personal. Not "the lady carrying the Coach bag" because that is all they can remember of you. You should be more memorable than just your handbag.

No comments: