Thursday, April 1, 2010

Has Hollywood been playing a joke on us?

Its April fools day, I think Hollywood has been playing a joke on us for more then a year with the programming they have been handing out.

I remember reading years ago a quote from Coco Chanel saying something like "bad style is better then no style". I think Hollywood has taken this to the extreme.

The style network needs to remember "Some people think luxury is the opposite of poverty. It is not. It is the opposite of vulgarity."

Three paragraphs into this blog your probably saying "Astor, what's the point!"

The point is - this obsession people are having with Jersey. Jersey Shore and Jerseylicious to be specific.

It's like passing a car wreck on the interstate and the traffic slows down to take a look. These show are car wrecks. The people that are on these shows are car wrecks. I've never seen
an episode Jersey Shore, but you cant avoid "seeing" what the show is about from other "news" programs - but I remember going to the Jersey shore as a young girl and I remember those people and I really wondered what planet these fouls were from. Well now Hollywood has answered that. I have seen Jerseylicious, and yes I knew women like this when I lived (no not in Jersey) but on the East Coast.

Why is the lowest common denominator what people want to see? I bet its so they can say "My life isn't that bad" " I wouldn't ever act like that" " What is wrong with these people" (that is my common comment). But you have to wonder why these people are on these shows. Are they that desperate to be on TV and be a D-lister that they will be the court jester?

A few more quotes from Chanel for these girls to think about:

Fashion fades, only style remains the same.

Fashion is made to become unfashionable.


True generosity means accepting ingratitude.


Elegance is not the prerogative of those who have just escaped from adolescence, but of those who have already taken possession of their future.




No comments: